3 or 4 beef shanks (about 2 ½ pounds)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup flour
Salt and pepper
2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1 to 2 inch pieces
1 small onion quartered
2 stalks celery, cut into 1 to 2 inch pieces
3 cloves garlic, quartered
¾ cup of homemade meat sauce (use jar sauce if you have to)
¾ cup red wine
1 cup beef broth, homemade or canned
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
4 fresh oregano leaves, cleaned
4 fresh basil leaves, cleaned
Salt and pepper
Cavatelli pasta, cooked and drained
Parmesan cheese, grated
1. Step one – Rinse the beef shanks and pat dry with a paper towel.
On a pie plate, place flour and add salt and pepper, mix well.
In a large frying pan, add olive oil, heat on medium high. Dredge the beef shanks
in the flour, tapping off the excess. Place shanks in frying pan, browning quickly,
about 5 minutes on each side, searing the meat.
Transfer meat to a crock pot. Put crock pot on low.
2. Step two – Into the frying pan, add onion, carrots, celery and garlic. If needed add another tablespoon of olive oil on a medium flame. Stir vegetables while cooking for about 10 minutes and get tender. Add meat sauce and blend well for a few minutes. Continue cooking, add wine and using a wooden spoon scrape up and beef bits from the bottom of the pan. When everything is scrapped up and mixed well, transfer vegetables to crock pot.
3. Add beef broth, vinegar, basil and oregano, salt and pepper. Cook on low until meat and vegetables tender to the touch, 6 to 8 hours.
4. Serve hot over Cavatelli or other pasta. Option: Sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese for garnish.
5. ENJOY- Slowly goes it, but quickly it’s gone!
© This recipe courtesy of Somebodys-Mom.com
One of the gifts I received at my wedding shower was a crock pot. It still works perfectly after all these years, and it is just the right size for me. Crock pot cooking has made life easier to some degree for us working moms and dads. You still need to take some time for prepping vegetables, meat, etc. for a recipe you plan on cooking in the crock pot. The fact that it is done in advance and cooks slowly for three to ten hours, depending on your crock pot, all together in one pot makes it a great accessory for the kitchen, and for cooks everywhere.
When entertaining the crock pot is great to keep food warm. Many a party, I used my crock pot to hold meatballs in sauce on the buffet table to keep them warm throughout the day. The crock pot is a versatile tool for all cooks! So, run don’t walk to get your CROCK POT today, if you don’t have one already.
Sharing is caring – What’s your favorite crock pot recipe?
2 thoughts on “Crock Pot Beef Shanks”
Hey Somebody’s Mom,
I don’t have a crock pot but your recipe looks really delicious. I’ll try it in my cast iron dutch oven. How about over mashed potatoes?
Mashed Potatoes sound delicious!