1 package family size 13 x 9 brownie mix
Eggs – add one extra egg to mix
Coffee – substitute coffee for water ingredient according to mix
Butter – use butter where as the shortening ingredient
1 / 2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips – add to the mix
3 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon butter, softened
1/ 2 cup sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/ 2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/ 4 teaspoon ginger
1 tablespoon flour
1 / 2 cup chopped or whole walnuts, optional
1. Oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
3. Prepare brownie mix according to directions but add 1 extra egg more than
required. Substitute the coffee for the water ingredient and use butter for the shortening ingredient. Add chocolate chips into the brownie mix . Use a wooden spoon to blend evenly. Pour the brownie mixture into the greased baking pan evenly.
4. In a separate bowl add sugar, softened cream cheese, butter, egg, pumpkin and spices with the tablespoon of four. Blend together with beater and set aside.
5. Spread the pumpkin mixture over the top of the brownie batter or plop a tablespoon of the pumpkin mixture over different sections of the brownie mixture and then with a butter knife gently run through the pumpkin on top and create swirls.
5. Optional = Sprinkle the walnuts over the top of the pumpkin brownie mixture evenly.
6. Bake 45 to 60 minutes. Check with a toothpick for doneness. Cool for 30 minutes or more before cutting into squares.
7. Optional also – Before serving, sprinkle top with confectioner’s sugar for
8. ENJOY! – It’s a pumpkin pie, it’s a brownie, it’s both in one bite!
I wasn’t positive I was in love with this combo the first time I made these pumpkin brownies. But the second time around I definitely did. Personally, I choose to make the pumpkin brownies with nuts, because I love nuts. It is really a personal choice of flavor. There are two kinds of people, with or without nuts. My grandkids are without nuts. I adjust to making anything with nuts for them, by using the half with nuts and half without nuts baking recipe. This way Grandma is happy too! Remember a happy Grandma makes for happy everyone! Happy Halloween!