1/ 3 cup pecans, chopped
1 bar margarine, softened
1 cup flour
1 large box instant chocolate pudding
(or 2 small boxes)
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
4 ounces mascarpone cheese, softened
¾ cup sugar, plus one tablespoon
6 ounces cool whip
6 ounces heavy cream
Roasted pecan pieces
1. Oven to 375 degrees.
2. With a fork or pastry blender, mix the softened margarine, flour and finely chopped pecans together in a medium bowl. Place into a large pie pan. Using your knuckles, press the dough to cover the bottom of the pan. Pushing a little bit of the dough up about 1/ 2 inch all around the sides of the pie plate.
3. Bake in oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
4. Set aside and let cool for 20 minutes.
5. Make the instant pudding according to instructions. Set aside.
6. In a bowl, mix with a beater, cream cheese, mascarpone cheese, sugar and cool whip.
7. In the cooled pie crust, begin layering, chocolate pudding, cheese mixture, chocolate pudding. Then top with fresh whipped cream. Decorate with pecan pieces or shaved chocolate. Refrigerate at least 6 hours or overnight before serving. (If overnight, cover after the second pudding layer and just before serving add the whipped cream layer.)
8. ENJOY! – Chocolate and cheese, more please!
Trust me. I’ve got a Chocolate Cheese Pie that is to die for! Just this past weekend, I prepared this dreamy pie for a small group of friends. My neighbor, Vinnie, enjoyed it so much that he put in his request for this pie for his birthday. Any idea when this man’s birthday is? How about October! Vinnie is already planning for his birthday dessert 6 months in advance. For him, it doesn’t get any better than this Chocolate Cheese Pie.
This recipe was given to me by my friend, Jean, years ago. She made the pie for a party and after tasting it, I just had to have the recipe. I made it a few times and then forgot about it. Recipes are like that. You get on a roll and you make something a few times and then you move on. All of a sudden the years fly by, lightening strikes, and you remember a recipe that you haven’t made in a while. Sometimes these resurrected recipes taste even better than the first time, and this Chocolate Cheese Pie is one of them. Looking for this recipe in my massive recipe collection made me crazy. I knew I had it somewhere. When I was ready to give up, I went back one more time and looked again. Found it! It pays to be persistent.
The original recipe from Jean was made with 8 ounces of cream cheese. I switched it up and used only 4 ounces of cream cheese and added 4 ounces of mascarpone cheese instead. The topping is supposed to be cool whip, but I swapped it out with whipped fresh cream. These minor changes really are the icing on the cake!