SPINACH LASAGNA ROLL-UPS
1 pkg 16 ounces lasagna noodles
1 pkg 8 ounces mozzarella cheese shredded
2 lb container of ricotta cheese
4 to 6 cups homemade tomato sauce
1 cup cooked and drained fresh spinach or 1 – 10 ounce pkg of frozen chopped spinach, drained thoroughly and sauteed
1. Prepare lasagna noodles according to package. Use a drop of oil in water to prevent the noodles from sticking together. Cook 1 to 2 minutes less than the directions, so the noodles are not too soft. Run noodles under cold water immediately after draining them. Spread out long sheets of wax paper. Lay the noodles side by side until no room left on sheet. Then place a sheet of wax paper on top and continue until all noodles are used. This will prevent them from sticking to one another.
2. Oven 375 degrees.
3. Mix in a bowl the sauteed spinach, mozzarella and ricotta. (I use whole milk, or part skim ricotta and mozzarella. Never use the no-fat kind, my friend did and the taste was terrible. Sorry, but some recipes cannot take no- fat and this is one of them..)
4. In a 9 x 13 x 2 oven baking pan, spoon sauce on the bottom.
5. Lay one noodle at a time to work with on a sheet of wax paper. Spoon the cheese spinach mixture onto the entire noodle. Begin at one end and roll up the noodle. Place in the pan with the noodle seam down. Continue until entire pan full. (You may need to use another pan, sometimes it comes to 1 and ½ pans of lasagna roll ups.
6. Cover and bake for 30 to 40 minutes.
7. Remove cover and bake for 10 minutes longer.
8. Makes about 8 servings. Serve with bread and salad.
ENJOY – Popeye would even love it…..
What can I say? Everybody loves these roll-ups. Just make enough to go around for seconds!