4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
1 cup half and half
1 1/3 cup sugar
1 stick butter
1. Melt chocolate and butter in top of a double boiler, stir with a wooden spoon.
2. Add sugar and mix well into sauce. Add half and half, and continue to stir until dissolved well.
3. Cook on a low flame slowly for at least 2 hours.
4. After you remove the hot fudge sauce from the stove, let it cool down and store in a covered jar in the refrigerator. When you are ready to serve, spoon desired amount into a microwavable dish and heat for about 30 seconds, stir and heat 30 seconds longer if needed. The sauce can last for several weeks.
5. Makes 10 to 14 servings, depending on amounts used.
6. ENJOY! – Hot Fudge Sauce not only on Sundaes, but everyday!
What do you really need to make people happy? How about homemade hot fudge sauce? With or without ice cream – it’s yummy!
My good friend, Laurie, made this for my family many moons ago and it is the best. She got it from her mom and shared it with me.
Hot fudge sauce always brings to mind the sultry days of summer where I picture myself in the 2 family house where I grew up sitting in our gazebo surrounded by grape vines. During the summer months, my mom and her sister who lived upstairs and downstairs in the house, would take turns cooking and then dining together in the gazebo. Growing up with people all around me all the time gave me a real love of people and entertaining. My mom’s other sister, who lived about 10 blocks away, would also join us with her husband. What we had then was the norm, 12 to 14 people eating a weekday dinner together. I really miss those days.
Today, I gather family together as often as I can. It isn’t always easy, because my children and their families live so far away. But, I do have neighbors and friends that are more than willing to come to dinner at my home on a weeknight.
Speaking of those friends, I invited a few over for a Friday night dinner on our deck. It was a warm night and after working, it’s a real treat to relax and eat outside. The highlight of the evening was the dessert I served, brownies, ice cream and homemade hot fudge sauce. Everyone was all over the homemade hot fudge sauce. Talk about regressing, it seemed we were all 10 years old again, trying different scoops of ice cream together with the hot fudge sauce. No one even cared about the brownies.
You scream, I scream, we all scream for ice cream, especially with homemade hot fudge sauce on top! Come on, be a kid again and spoon it on – you only live once!
Filed under: Recipes